The Melrose United Methodist Church will celebrate its 150th anniversary with a ceremony unveiling a historical marker on Saturday, April 14th. The public is encouraged to attend.
The church was first organized as Melrose Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1868. Early members included familiar names in Melrose history: Barnette, Craig, Earl, Goodson, Jackson, Lambdin, McCullough, McGregor, McRae, Mizelle, Moody, Price, and Vogelbach. The current structure was erected by the congregation in 1879, using heart pine. The sanctuary was expanded in 1931. Hagglund Fellowship Hall was built in the 1950’s, and Holstun Hall was added in 1995.
Melrose United Methodist Church has been an integral part of the community since its inception. The church bell has been used as a fire alarm, to call people to community meetings, to warn citrus growers of possible freezes, and even to announce the arrival of the steamboat from Waldo at Melrose Bay. The bell, which was installed in the 1890’s, still calls people to worship each Sunday. When the Melrose school burned in 1947, the church served as classroom space for first and second graders for two years.
The historical marker designates the church as a Florida Heritage Site. It is sponsored by the church and the Florida Department of State.
The ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. on April 14th. Tours of the church will be conducted and light refreshments will be provided. Old Florida music will be provided by “Blue Skies,” with Mac and Paula Tyner. Melrose United Methodist Church is located at 5802 Hampton Street in Melrose.
For Further Information, Contact: Tim Price 574-904-8308