Discussion turned to next Tuesday’s evening meeting and Pot Luck Dinner at the Melrose Senior Community Center. Volunteers will provide drinks, food, etc., doors will open at 5:30p, and dinner will be served as soon as is convenient with the meeting to follow at approximately 6:30p. Meeting agenda to include:
- Speaker: Nancy Clark from UF to speak about TIF (Tax Incremental Fund) and its potentially beneficial impact to our community.
- Election Committee to be appointed to vet candidates for the MBCA Officers election for October 2018 (All Directors, Vice President, and Treasurer are up for re-election as their terms expire this year.) Candidates to be announced at September meeting (9/21).
- Items to be included in the Putnam Parks Calendar for 2019 can be submitted to Angie Whisnant (at email@example.com) before August 1st.
- Upcoming events include:
- Multi-Market Sale at Heritage Park, June 9 (also September 8th and December 1st)
- Melrose African Festival, St Johns Church, SR 219
- July 4th Boat Parade
- Friday Art Walk (July 6th, August 3rd, September 7th)
- Farmers’ Market – every Friday 4-7p
Click to Download a Flyer
FREE LUNCH FOR KIDS AND TEENS THIS SUMMER
Kids and teens can get a bite to eat to go along with their books this summer at the library! Summer BreakSpot is a program funded by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services that provides free, nutritious meals to kids and teenagers 18 years of age and younger during their summer break. Both the Melrose Public Library (as part of the Putnam County Library System) and Trinity Episcopal Church will be pick-up locations in Melrose—but you can find any certified pick-up location by dialing 2-1-1 or by texting “FoodFL” to 877-877 or by visiting summerbreakspot.org. Lunch attendees should expect a “boxed lunch,” with a variety of food labeled as “nutritious” by the USDA.
Trinity Episcopal Church will serve meals the week prior to the library’s service start date. The Trinity serving crew will issue lunches from Monday, June 4th from 12:00pm-12:45pm to Friday, June 8th all at the same time frame… and will then serve lunches ON MONDAYS until July 27th. Trinity Episcopal Church will also serve lunch on July 5th and July 6th at the regular serving time.
The Melrose Public Library will begin serving lunches on Tuesday, June 12th from 12:00pm-12:45pm and will serve lunches through the following dates (Tuesdays-Fridays):
And July 24th-27th
Anyone who would like to receive a free lunch should sign up at one of the Putnam County Library System branches (including the Melrose Public Library) or Trinity Episcopal Church—and let your pick-up location know if you have any food allergies. For more information, contact the PCLS HQ Branch at 386.329.0126 or the Melrose Public Library at 352.475.1237 or Trinity Episcopal Church at 352.475.2177.
“Try the Y!
THIRD Saturday of each month.
Join us for Open Swim, Zumba, Yoga, Silver Sneakers for Active Older Adults, Cardio and Strength Equipment, Healthy Living Demonstrations, Fitness Demos and Activities for EVERY body!
YMCA Wellness Department Presents: HEALTH is Our Wealth Series
Free & open to the community
May 19th, June 16th, July 21st, and August 18th
Contact: Alisha Mishell, North Central Florida YMCA, 5201 NW 34th Blvd. 32605 (352) 374-9622
Come enjoy good company, good coffee and live music every Thurs. 11-1 at the Senior Community Center. “Coffeetalk” has been a tradition for years in our community. Come be a part of it!
This gallery contains 1 photos.
REMINDER: The monthly meeting of MBCA for General Members is Tuesday, May 8th, at the Homemakers Club in Melrose. Free Parking! Doors open at 11:30a, meeting starts at noon. Topics on the agenda include:
- Speaker: John McRae, with a proposal for Banana Mill
- Tax Increment Funds, report from Tim Parker, request to form committee
- Tree in trouble, Melrose Heritage Park, arborist contacted
- Security workers needed for beach weekends (also, verify that we have people to open and close the beach while William is away).
- Beach upgrade — tree work, sand possible? (William)
- June potluck, 6-5-18 (Tuesday 6 PM) with publicity and email list activated.
- Multi-Market announcement
Computer Class for Seniors
Monday, April 30 11:30am – 1:30pm
Wallace Russell leads seniors through the basics of computer usage; from using a mouse, to email, to basic web searching and beyond. Bring your computer questions and enjoy this 6 week course. Space is limited; Register by calling 352-481-1920 or stopping by the Hawthorne Library to reserve your seat. Let us know if you have a laptop you can bring. For Seniors 55 and above. Cosponsored by Hawthorne Life Enrichment Center and the City of Hawthorne.
Art with Scratch
Wednesday, May 02 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Create, code, and share your own Digital Art! Use a laptop to design your own animations, interactive artwork, photograph filters, and other exciting artistic projects. No experience necessary. Bring friends: the CS First Club is social & Fun! 4th through 8th grade.
Thursday, May 03 10:30am – 11:10am
Interactive storytime with literature-based fingerplay art music and puppetry for people identifying with aged five and under and their caretakers
Thursday, May 03 5:30pm – 6:45pm
Join the Hawthorne Book Club for fun food and lively discussions! All are welcome! Even if you haven’t read this month’s selection join us to see if the book is to your liking! Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf will be discussed.